Friday 17 April 2009

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Stars and Stripes

The minute I saw the announcement about this on Nicolette's blog (see post below this one), I knew which quilt I was going to show.
When I started quilting some years ago, I read about denim quilts and just had to make one. I only had my old hand crank sewing machine, some wooden templates made up for me by a friend, a proper rotary cutter, a cutting mat and not a lot else, let alone "experience". I was so naive I did not know you couldn't mix different fabric weights. What the hell - go with the flow and see what happens! (I didn't know then that that was liberated quilting :-) ) I started cutting up The Old One's jeans that were falling to pieces or too small and came across an old red and white stripped apron which I snapped up. A visit to the fabric shop produced the lovely heavy red and blue fabric and, to me now, that ghastly poly mix with the oak leaves which stretches. I even cut out and sewed on an old Pace Jeans label (do they still make Pace Jeans I wonder? They were my all time favourite - perfect fit!). Halfway through making this we got my new, but cranky (as in temperamental) electric sewing machine with embroidery stitches - woo hoo. You can see where I had fun using the zig zag stitch on some stars I traced onto the fabric. I sewed huge running stitches in the ditch round each block and some of the seams, most of which have since come out. I folded over the backing to create the binding (which surprisingly is still in place). This was meant to hang above our bed as a sort of bed head, but ended up on one of the sofas as a lap quilt/throw for those chilly evenings. I can't get near it. The Young One has taken over that particular sofa and the quilt. We had it on our bed this last winter - not really big enough, but it helped - and we loved the feel of it so much another one has been commissioned to be finished by Winter 2009. All in all - a lot of work and love went into this quilt. I hope as much goes into the next one.

26 comments:

Amanda said...

I think everyone's 'first' quilts are wonderful, they're always rather naive and full of things that we'd do differently now. Yours still looks lovely and cosy, and is obviously still well loved.

Millie said...

I like it. It has that special something you don't get when you think too much about it. It has a lovely freedom and unabashedness about it.

Donna said...

I love your attitude of "jumping in" and learning as you went. While the fabric mixutes and choices might not be yours now, the quilt is lovely and sounds like its very loved...

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

good story! lots of love in that quilt!

Unknown said...

Love your quilt and it's story! It's amazing how many "rules" we break when we don't know better - but it works! Beautiful work :)

Joyce said...

I have to say that yours looks a LOT better than my first attempt. Mine had some very weird fabrics in it too.

Hedgehog said...

This is a great quilt - I feel so lucky to have seen it in person!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

What a cozy quilt. I love it.

Fiona said...

You know, as with people, it's their idiosyncrasies that make them interesting - you could say the same about quilts. Love the story of your first quilt.

Stephanie D said...

Great story! I love that you didn't let inexperience deter you from just jumping right in. Attagirl.

Zonnah said...

What a great way to reuse stuff.

dutchcomfort said...

This story and the wonderful quilt fits you so well!!

First quilts are always special!

stitchinpenny said...

A denim quilt as a first - you are brave.
it is great.

Carol E. said...

Great quilt! You were liberated before you even knew it!

Cher said...

that is what makes a quilt a family treasure-your story is wonderful, please print and make a label of it and put it on the back!

Quilt Rat said...

I prefer not to know the rules so then I don't know I'm breaking them and some wonderful things can.
Keep on quilting! great job

Dolores said...

It's so nice that quilts that are made are used and not sitting in a cupboard. I hope the next one is easier to make.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

I think that quilt is charming. I've always wanted to make a denim quilt.

Kerri said...

such a lovely quilt!!

Gayle Bong said...

Great start. I hope I get to see your latest. I too wanted to make a denim quilt, but they are so heavy. Not the denim, the quilt. Maybe I could use it as a rug.

Granny Lyn said...

First quilts have a special place in your heart, don't they? My first is my favorite, too.

Sharon said...

I love your first "wonky" quilt. I think it looks cozy! I have a denim quilt too, and boy, are they heavy and warm! I can see why another is in the works!

Laura said...

What a great story and a lovely quilt.

Kim said...

Some of our best work comes from not knowing we can't do it :-) Well done on your first quilt project!

The Devil Dog said...

That is a great quilt. Isn't it fun to be liberated? Mom also loves how your family tree is coming.

Roxy

Natalie said...

Denim quilts are some of my favorites! Nice job!