Tuesday, 13 November 2012

Twilight - Retirement Home for Dogs

The blue isn't as dark as that. It's sort of a midnight blue.

I was going to put a binding on in the same colour as the letters, but I think think blue will be okay.

Any thoughts?

More soon.

Thursday, 8 November 2012

My First Commission

A friend saw photos of my name banners and has commissioned me to make one for a dear friend of ours.

The colour choice has been difficult. The friend likes wild and wacky colours - orange and lime green together - that sort of thing.

I  found a really wild batik in the stash, but on a white background it would look terrible. So I decided it needed a dark colour to throw it out.

Not too wild about that W, but it will do.

More soon.

Monday, 5 November 2012

Monster Finish!

Do you remember the craze last year for Lego quilts. When I started building bricks with fabric and it just got bigger and bigger and bigger,

until it got so big it could only be photographed outside?

All That Jazz

I decided it was time this monster was actually on the bed and not idling away in a cupboard taking up  space.

Getting read to start sewing the layers together

The kitchen table was cleared of all detritus. The Old One's favourite armchair was used to take the weight of the quilt as I turned it round. After about an hour I had 3 layers sewn together. A bit haphazardly, but sewn. Those seams are definitely not straight!

Then I rolled it up and left it for 48 hours. I wasn't at all sure if the backing was going to be strong enough. It's an old cotton sheet which has definitely seen better days.

After a lot of cogitating, I decided that if it was going to be finished I needed to get on and do it. Now!

Cleared the kitchen table again, turned it inside out (or outside out [grin]), pushed the corners out and stayed up until 2.00 am closing the open seam. I was determined to sleep under it that night.

Et voila!

It is still be be tied and I'm going to sew some orphan string blocks on the back to reinforce the sheet and cover up a few holes. That should also help keep the layers together.

I think I've got my mojo back. I rescued the Liberated Amish project from the dust bunnies under the bed and hope to start hand quilting it again soon. In  the meantime I've got Greengage Fool to finish.

More soon.