until it got so big it could only be photographed outside?
|All That Jazz|
I decided it was time this monster was actually on the bed and not idling away in a cupboard taking up space.
|Getting read to start sewing the layers together|
The kitchen table was cleared of all detritus. The Old One's favourite armchair was used to take the weight of the quilt as I turned it round. After about an hour I had 3 layers sewn together. A bit haphazardly, but sewn. Those seams are definitely not straight!
Then I rolled it up and left it for 48 hours. I wasn't at all sure if the backing was going to be strong enough. It's an old cotton sheet which has definitely seen better days.
After a lot of cogitating, I decided that if it was going to be finished I needed to get on and do it. Now!
Cleared the kitchen table again, turned it inside out (or outside out [grin]), pushed the corners out and stayed up until 2.00 am closing the open seam. I was determined to sleep under it that night.
It is still be be tied and I'm going to sew some orphan string blocks on the back to reinforce the sheet and cover up a few holes. That should also help keep the layers together.
I think I've got my mojo back. I rescued the Liberated Amish project from the dust bunnies under the bed and hope to start hand quilting it again soon. In the meantime I've got Greengage Fool to finish.