Tuesday 17 May 2011

Bloggers' Quilt Festival - Spring 2011

I haven't entered a quilt in the Bloggers' Quilt Festival for ages -not since its inception a few years ago.

Not that many quilts have been finished that are still in the house, but my all time favourite so far and the one which made me feel like a proper quilter is this one.

Haunted Houses
made this for Tonya's House, Home Pantry class. I have a very funny feeling that I started it in the class before, but anyway, it took ages and ages - I think about 2 years.

This is the first quilt that I finally felt happy with, that I quilted in the way I wanted to and went the way I wanted it to. I wasn't influenced by anyone (apart from Ton LOL) and I love it to bits.

The quilting is a huge spider web.  I started in the centre and worked outwards.  It's a bit wonky and some of the stitches are huge because I had to jump lots of seams.

It now hangs in a dark corner where it doesn't get any light as the sun is so strong it bleaches everything.  But I pass it about 6 times a day and every time I go past I say "Hi".

14 comments:

Millie said...

I love this quilt. It's fabulous. I know what you mean when you pass your quilt and say Hi. When I pass my sampler quilt, sometimes I pat it and smile.

Lonci said...

Fasbulous, very nice quilt:)

Tonya Ricucci said...

such a fabulous quilt - love it!!!!! you really did an amazing job with it and I'm glad you've got it hanging up where you can visit with it!

stitchinpenny said...

Great quilting concept for a halloween quilt. Love the whole quilt.

Pattilou said...

What a fun way to incorporate letters into a quilt. It is an amazing quilt. LOVE it!

Unknown said...

A most excellent quilt, I like the way you said it makes you feel like a proper quilter. I'm in a Mary Lou Weidman class this week and she would say it's the cheddar color that makes it POP - it's her favorite color! Thanks for sahring it!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Boo! A haunted quilt! I'm aghast at this quilt.
What fun--and a good excuse to use lots of orange and black in a quilt, too

jovaliquilts said...

Really a wonderful quilt!! Glad to see it again.

martilindsey said...

I keep buying Halloween themed fabric....yes in April and May! Really love your creation....just what I needed to see for some inspiration today!
Cheers~
Marti in San Diego

Marit said...

This is one of my most favorite quilts, ever! I think you have shared pictures of the spiderweb quilting, earlier. Just proves that taking time is very worth it!
; )

Riel Nason said...

I just LOVE this quilt. I am crazy about Halloween anyway, but even if it wasn't made for my favourite holiday, there is so much to love about this quilt -- the colours, the letters, the design ...just great.

Eileen said...

love your vibrant, fun quilt. can see why you enjoy passing it all the time. thanks for sharing and have a great day

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I love all the different colors you used to make each letter. Great idea, and a wonderful quilt.

Lynda said...

Having just returned from Quilts UK at Malvern (lovely day, uninspiring quilts) it was lovely to see your lively quilt. So much to look at and admire, and a real 'work of art'! Thank you for bringing my faith back in quilters.