Saturday 7 April 2007

Belated WiP and Oodles of Fabric

Do you know the worst thing about living in rural France? The blasted phone system and the fact that we are one of the last villages in the Dordogne not to have ADSL. Apparently they are working on getting us connected sometime in 2008 or 2009, but I don't think I can wait that long. My ISP is driving me nuts. It's not their fault, it's the fault of France Telecom and their antiquated telephone exchange and that the wet pieces of string are, quite literally, hanging in loops from the telegraph poles. I have been trying to post this for well over a week and I just hope that this time I don't loose the connection. First things first - WiP. Well, I've started my aunt's family birthday quilt. The letters are very wonky but I'm enjoying it. It is great to be piecing and sewing again and watching a quilt come to life, rather than trying to push a needle through 2 inches of fabric and loosing the skin on my thumb. Now on to more important matters. A friend in the next village has recently come back from a trip to the UK. She had the sad task of doing a mini house clearance. SiL has got Breast Cancer and MiL has gone into a home. Guess what she bought back with her? Fabric. Lots of fabric. Lots and lots and lots of fabric. Some of it is curtain material and curtain lining, some of it is too silky and thin for quilting, but she let me have a rummage and this is what I came back with. Updated 13th April - eye candy time.

11 comments:

Melanie said...

Doesn't sound like your internet woes are slowing you down....Can't wait to the the fabric treasures. Your friend will probably need a 'friend' in the coming days. She's just went through a tough task, I bet you're a great sounding board....Have fun today...

Joyce said...

We just got a fast(er) internet connection so I can relate to your problems. Of course, lots and lots of fabric would help!

swooze said...

Oh what a tease you are!! How is the kitty doing?

Fiona said...

If it's any consolation we've got broadband but sometimes it sure doesn't feel like it, it's so slow. Look forward to seeing your fabric finds.

atet said...

Oooohhh, how mean you are to not show us the goodies! I can't wait to see the pictures and I empathize with your dial-up woes. I was so glad when my small town FINALLY had DSL available.

CONNIE W said...

Been wondering where you have been. The woes of ISPs, no fun...we have broadband which is so nice and I'm spoiled, I hope I never have to go to dial-up.
How are the R/W QFL blocks coming in? I still haven't made time to construct any...I was wondering...do you have sewing friends there who could help sew if I donated fabric to you? Just a thought.......
Connie

Quilter Kathy said...

Show us...show us...please!!!

Jenni said...

You'll be busy Clare. You won't have time to blog if you get going on all that fabric. Strings?

Kay said...

What a treasure trove! Enjoy. We used to have a slow dial up until about a year ago, so I do sympathize.

Nicole & Phil said...

interseting fabrics, i look forward to see what you do with them!

good luck with the telephone stuff.....my worst nightmare!

Unknown said...

The fabric is fun! Good luck getting DSL more quickly...